Hi family and friends! Thank you all for your support, kindness, and encouragement, I could not be here if it was not for many of you all! I am so excited to be spending 8 weeks this summer working at New Hope Orphanage in Busia, Uganda. I will be here until July 31st and am so excited that you all have decided to follow me/keep up with all of my beautiful adventures while here. I am ready to learn, grow, and receive all the blessings this trip has to offer. I love you all and will post updates and pictures as often as possible. I'm off! Goodbye America, Hello Motherland!

Monday, June 13, 2011

“You are so welcome, at New Hope”

After almost a week at New Hope, I can honestly say I have never been through such an emotional roller coaster in my life. We arrived Sunday afternoon after being picked up in Kampala by the director of the orphanage, Ken. We were greeted at New Hope by 50-60 children who RAN and when I mean ran, I have never been welcomed ever like that in my life. They came up to our car and pushed and shoved to introduce themselves and give us a hug. I have never felt more love, excitement and joy at one time….all simply because me and another volunteer had arrived. They greeted us with many songs and dances they had prepared all just welcoming us and letting us know how much they appreciated us being there. Needless to say, I was pushing back tears the entire time. It was such a pure and genuine excitement and it was such a beautiful way to have been greeted at my home for the next two months.

The last couple days have been…difficult, eye-opening and extremely emotionally tolling. I got my teaching assignment early this week and I will be teaching P4 and P5 English (This is equivalent to 3rd and 4th grade in the USA). I teach at different times every day, but each day I am in the classroom for about 4 hours. The hardest part of teaching has definitely been the language barrier. As most of you know, I talk faster than the speed of light…clearly I have had to slow down tremendously. The kids are slowly but surely getting to me…some of them have touched me so much; it is going to be difficult to leave them at the end of the summer. There eagerness to learn and above all their inner joy has allowed me to see God through them, within them and protecting them. There light is so bright, that no matter what circumstances they seem to be under, they manage to smile and remain in such beautiful spirit all day, everyday. It has been a blessing to watch them interact with each other and an even bigger blessing to talk with them and me around their contagious spirit.

The children have honestly been the most positive part of my experience here thus far. The circumstances in Busia are not the best, at all. It is an extremely rural town (for all those who understand Amharic, this place is the definition of BALAGERE!)…much more than I expected. Although my home-stay provides me with a decent room, bathroom (with a toilet and toilet paper), and 3 meals a day, that is not the case for many of the people in this town. There are chickens running around our front yard (at least 5), cattle, sheep, goat are always on the streets, and the most common form of transportation is the bicycle….needless to say it has been an adjustment. The food pretty much consists of starch, starch and some more starch. We usually eat bread/butter and tea for breakfast and our lunches and dinners are some combination of rice, potatoes (regular and sweet), bananas (not the sweet fruit but like plantains) some type of beans, posha (cornflower), chipate (a delicious flat bread), and occasionally some kind of vegetable or meat (beef or fish). Shockingly, I miss fruits and salads and foods with protein...but again, we are eating better than many of those around us, so I am grateful for the three meals I receive everyday.

Ugandan people, especially the family I am living with is generous beyond anything I have ever experienced before. It is a type of generosity and sincere hospitality that as Americans, we do not know let alone practice. Ken (the director of orphanage) and his family that I am staying with go out of their way each and every day to make me and the other volunteers here feel safe and at home. It is at times mindboggling the amount of kindness they have showed us all. Overall although, I have noticed that Ugandan people, in general, are generous and honest. Even if they do not have a lot, they will make sure their guests are taken care of and always provide anything we may need to feel comfortable. It is a phenomenon I am still trying to wrap my head around…how a group of people who have so little can give so much. But I am a firm believer in Karma, so I am confident the kindness I have been surrounded by in the house and in this community, will come back to my new Ugandan friend’s ten folds.

My first weekend in Busia….coming soon. I miss everyone and do not even like spending hours trying to log on to any social networking sites, simply because isolating myself has been the only way I can keep my focus and intention on my purpose here instead of what is going on in the states. But I am sure all of my friends and fam in Marietta and Chapel Hill are having a fabulous summer. Mom, Dad, CT, sisters, Olivia and Morgan….I love you all and think about each one of you all the time. Stay tuned, I am trying my hardest to keep you all posted as often as possible!


xoxo

PGJ

No comments:

Post a Comment