Hi family and friends! Thank you all for your support, kindness, and encouragement, I could not be here if it was not for many of you all! I am so excited to be spending 8 weeks this summer working at New Hope Orphanage in Busia, Uganda. I will be here until July 31st and am so excited that you all have decided to follow me/keep up with all of my beautiful adventures while here. I am ready to learn, grow, and receive all the blessings this trip has to offer. I love you all and will post updates and pictures as often as possible. I'm off! Goodbye America, Hello Motherland!

Monday, June 13, 2011

"Olioteaa Muzungus"

The power of a smile is one of the most fascinating things we often underestimate as human beings. It is Sunday morning and as my first weekend here in Busia is coming to a close, I am learning more and more about myself and about the people of Uganda. Because we do not teach on Saturdays, the other interns and I pretty much have the day to ourselves. This Saturday night, after a week of rice, beans and potatoes, we decided to go to a local restaurant in Busia. The owner used to live in the United Kingdom, so she knows how to prepare pretty westernized foods. It was a great escape and allowed us to all “bond.” Not to mention we got to eat samosas and French fries lol.

As we were walking to the restaurant, we passed by many locals who of course stopped and starred because it was me, 2 other black Americans, 3 white girls and an Asian guy. After about 10 minutes, I noticed I was the only one greeting everyone as they waved and said “hello, how are you?” I became curious as to why all the other interns who were clearly more foreign looking in this country than I am, were not taking a second out of their lives to smile and say hello to these local Ugandans who smiled and greeted them by saying, “Oliotea Muzungu” (which is directly translated as, how are you white person?)

One man looked at me as we were walking and stated, “It is nice to see someone who looks like us.” Its funny because although that was a very unclear statement, I knew exactly what he was talking about. I looked at him, smiled, and said “Thank you.” The people of this small town are kind, it is the least we can do as foreigners coming into their home to greet them with a smile and a genuine “How are you” or “Olioteaa.”

For me, it is the least I can do. Although we may not speak the same language or share the same cultural norms, human interaction is the same, internationally. A smile will always convey the same thing…always. So in a way, a smile is one of the few ways I can show my gratitude for the people of this community. It’s Sunday morning now and as I prepare for the upcoming week, I am more content with the my experience here than I have ever been up to this point. I guess the only thing I can be hopeful for is that like Marianne Williamson stated so eloquently, when I let my own light shine, I will unconsciously give permission for others around me to do the same. My smile and my attitude have changed tremendously from the beginning of last week till now, so maybe Mister Douglass knew the secret all along that, “Without struggle, there can be no progress.”

I am claiming that this week, I can learn much more from the children at New Hope than I can ever begin to teach them. Keep it classy, America and I hope all my family and friends will become even more conscious this week of the power of each and everyone of you all’s smile.

PS: PICS PICS PICS!

-PGJ

The Boys


Uncle Ken's House (where I am living)


New Hope Orphanage

Me and my buddy Jeffery (funniest little man!)

Random cattle crossing the street lol



the main road from home to the orphanage
Our House


The beautiful children of New Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment