Hi family and friends! Thank you all for your support, kindness, and encouragement, I could not be here if it was not for many of you all! I am so excited to be spending 8 weeks this summer working at New Hope Orphanage in Busia, Uganda. I will be here until July 31st and am so excited that you all have decided to follow me/keep up with all of my beautiful adventures while here. I am ready to learn, grow, and receive all the blessings this trip has to offer. I love you all and will post updates and pictures as often as possible. I'm off! Goodbye America, Hello Motherland!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Empty pools, Motorcylces, Baboons and Birthdays!

Where to begin, where to begin! It is Wednesday evening June 22nd and we finally have power in the house so that I can sit on my computer while it charges and try to explain the oh so many adventures I have had this past weekend and throughout the course of the week thus far. First and foremost I want to thank all my family and friends for the tremendous amount of love you sent me via telephone/facebook/twitter/email for my birthday! I appreciate and love you all so much and am grateful everyday to have you all in my life. You have all blessed my life in so many ways for the past 20 years.

Coincidentally, this is my second birthday spend in Africa. My 13th birthday was spent in Ethiopia with tons of family, delicious food and a personal asmarey (a solo Ethiopian singer/comedian). This birthday was slightly different to say the least, but also unforgettable its own very unique way. Saturday June 18th, me and the other 5 interns here at New Hope left Busia around 9 am for Torroro to celebrate my birthday. One of the other interns knew of a hotel with a nice pool and restaurant in that town so we decided to make it a day tripb. We took a matatu (taxi) half way there. On our way we ran into many baboons just chillen on the side of the rode. Of course me and the other muzungus acted like complete foreigners and screamed and laughed while pointing out the window. So after about an hour in a cramped matatu, we arrive to an intersection where we realize that the only way to the hotel is by boda boda (motorcycle!) I had given plenty of heads up that I was not AT ALL interested in EVER riding on the back of the motorcycle boda boda’s during my time here, but of course…I ended up on the back of one. So we arrive to the hotel and find that the pool is drained. There is no water in the pool, what! So we had travled all the way to Tororro to a pretty upscale hotel that, for some reason, decided to drain the pool. -___- (straight face). So it is about noon at this time and our options are to either go back to Busia and call it a day, or go farther to the next town, Mbale, and spend the day at another resort that is apparently $300 per night and apparently an extremely nice pool. All the other interns voted that it was my choice, so of course…..we all hoped on a boda boda and rode for an hour and a half to Mbale! Just to clarify…I rode a motorcycle for an hour and a half on dirt roads filled with the most potholes I have ever seen in my life. There are no words. Moving on, we finally arrived at the Mbale Resort, and to surprise, it was beautiful! We found numerous other muzungus there, many of which were peace core volunteers who were stationed in near by villages and towns. The pool was gorgeous and there had a bar by the pool equipped with American food, drinks, and service! We all lounged by the pool, ate lunch and had a wonderful afternoon! We left Mbale around 5pm, which was slightly a mistake because by the time we got the taxi park and waited for a matatu to fill up and leave for Busia, it was getting dark. The matatu finally filled. We were 5 to a row so I was LITERALLY sitting on top of the people next to me. Meanwhile, we had about 2 chicken also in the matatu with us. The trip back on the road full of potholes was probably one of the most uncomfortable experiences I have ever had in my life lol. It was so ridiculous that all I could do is look at one of the other volunteers sitting next to me and laugh. A priceless and unforgettable moment that will probable always put a smile on my face when I think about it. Although it was not a good idea to ride in a matatu after dark, we made it back home safe and sound. It was one of the most eventful adventures I have ever had and by far the most unforgettable 24 hours.

Because Saturday was not my actual birthday, we decided to go out to dinner at Jere’s which is the local restaurant here in Busia on Monday night for my real birthday. As far as during the day, I taught as usual and spent the day with my babies at the orphanage. 2 of my students wrote me letters wishing me a happy birthday and made me promise that I would come by the orphanage to play with them after my birthday dinner. I promised them I would come, so the other interns agreed to going out for an early dinner. Dinner was delicious and filled with good conversation, which in my book is always a good combination. I appreciate the other volunteers for making me feel special and spending my birthday with me, it took away a lot of the homesickness and unfamiliarity that was a first for me this year on my birthday. After dinner, we walked outside to find that it had begun raining. I had PROMISED my babies that I would come visit them, and as many of my close friends and family know, I am not one to break my word and I am especially not one to ever break a promise. So one of the interns called her loyal bicyclist to come and bicycle me to the orphanage. So I rode on the back of a bicycle, for the first time, about 2 miles, in the rain, all the way to the orphanage to spend the evening with my babies! It was one of the best decisions I have ever made because I can genuinely say that it is the most pure and uninterrupted joy I have ever had the privilege to experience and it was the best gift I could have ever received. The babies were getting ready for sleep because I am sure they did not expect me to come in the rain. My excitement to see them and their surprise and happiness to see me combined was a moment I will never forget until the day I die. We played heads up 7 up, laughed, sang, took pictures and had a beautiful time. Finally after the rain had lightened up, 4 of the older boys, Geoffrey, Dennis, Peter, and Eddy all walked me back to the house. We laughed, and I explained to Eddy what the definition of “cool” was. Lol. I came to my room, lied in my bed and watched one of my favorite movies, The Holiday, and fell asleep after a magical birthday.

As I am re-reading one of my favorite books, The Power of Now, I am beginning to find such a greater inner peace and joy here. I am laughing exponentially more, making an effort and actually getting to know the other volunteers here, and most importantly finding purpose and acceptance in just being and taking each hour of every day for exactly what it is, precious.

I am leaving for Kampala Friday morning to spend the weekend with Uncle Mati and his family. I will miss my babies, but am excited to get away and hopefully explore Kampala with some natives! Will keep you all posted after returning from my long weekend. Oh I forgot to mention how much I appreciate and love my parents, my aunt Tsheai and my LS and tail, Amarachi for calling me on my birthday. Hearing you alls voice (especially Tails which caught me completely off guard!) made my heart smile and truly made my day! Anyway, I miss you all more than you can phantom. Continue sending positive thoughts, love, and prayers this way and I will do the same. Until next time!


PGJ


No comments:

Post a Comment